Ready for a quick and effective cardio sweat-session? Cardio does not have to be an all day event! Reap the benefits of a 30-minute intense cardio session in just 10 minutes! Sound too good to be true? Give it a try and you will see how you can burn mega calories in a short amount of time! Add this 10-Minute Cardio Sweat-Session to your regular workout routine to increase your calorie burn and improve your cardiovascular fitness!
While your body is warmed up and your heart is pumpin’, grab your jump rope! That’s right! It is time to take you back to your childhood days of jumping rope! But now we are going to “Amp It Up!”
10 Minute Cardio Sweat-Session (Can be completed during or after your workout session)
During the jump roping session remember that “one jump = one turn of the rope”! Keep your knees slightly flexed and land softly on the balls of your feet to prevent excess pounding on the joints. Arms should be bent 90 degrees with much of the rotation of the rope coming from the wrist. Ready! Set! GO!
Complete each set listed below continuously for 30 seconds each. Rest for 20 seconds. Repeat three times. Good Luck!
30 seconds each
– Two-foot jumping (straight up and down)
– Two-foot jumping side-to-side
(as you become more efficient, your jumps can get wider and wider!)
– Two-foot jumping forward and back
(start with small forward and back movements; over time you can increase this distance!)
– Single leg jumping, 2x each leg (right, right, left, left, right, right, etc.)
– Single leg jumping, 3x each leg (right, right, right, left, left, left, etc.)
– Run in place (bring the knees up high, one rope turn per step)
– Rest 20 seconds! Repeat!
After you have completed your Sweat-Session, make sure to get a good stretch in the calf muscles! You can do this by completing the following:
– Set up in push-up position
– With your knees off the ground, lift your butt and hips upwards and push your heels down to the ground (this is the same as “Downward Dog” for yoga, your body should look like the shape of a triangle)
– Hold this position for 20-30 seconds. Rest. Repeat three times.
Make the most of your time by utilizing the 10-Minute Cardio Sweat-Session! You can add this exercise to your fitness routine two to four times per week! Always remember to take it at your own pace. Do not force yourself to complete the entire exercise if your body is telling you “NO!” Start small and build up! Best of luck!
Best in fitness and health,
Robin Ishibashi Jones
Robin Ishibashi Jones has been a fitness trainer and strength and conditioning coach for over 10 years. A graduate of Whittier College and owner of Stonebridge HomeFit, Robin is a health and fitness enthusiast who makes training easily accessible to people of all levels.
The material presented on this site is for informational purposes only and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Keiro Senior HealthCare, The Institute for Healthy Aging at Keiro, or its contributors. Readers should consult appropriate health, legal, or financial professionals on any matter relating to their health and well-being. Full disclaimer